In today’s environment, increased regulatory requirements and scrutiny by both governmental organizations and donors has made it more challenging than ever for nonprofits. Whether ensuring contributions are applied according to donors restrictions or investments are properly accounted for and reported on, our job is to help you navigate the maze of requirements that are specific to nonprofits so that you can do what you do best – serve your constituents well.
We Can Help
Working closely with your management and board members, HoganTaylor’s Nonprofit Practice Group leverages their extensive experience to help you better deal with these challenges.
We provide specialized tax and audit expertise as well as organizational consulting to the following types of nonprofit organizations:
- Private and Community Foundations
- Colleges & Universities and other Educational Institutions
- Voluntary Health & Welfare Organizations
- Membership Organizations & Associations
- Cultural Organizations & Museums
- Religious Organizations
Providing tax and assurance services to nonprofit organizations has been a focus since our founding. We pride ourselves on providing the experience and expertise you’d expect from the nation’s largest accounting firms with an unexpected twist: the care and personal attention you’d expect from a locally-owned firm. We believe the things that make us different are:
Active Participation of Senior Professionals
- Excellent staff-to-partner ratio
- Continuous access to service teams with extensive nonprofit experience
- Commitment to staff continuity so you don’t have to retrain your nonprofit engagement team year after year
Proactive, Ongoing Involvement
- Swift responsiveness and issue resolution
- Hands on, service-oriented business philosophy
- Candid, proactive and ongoing communications
- No surprises approach
Leading Technology Processes & Solutions for Nonprofit Tax & Audit Services
We also are committed to utilizing the most advanced technology and processes available to serve nonprofits in a more rapid, efficient manner
- National firm audit methodology for optimum assurance
- Paperless audit process
- Central communication portal for efficient document management
- Customized, disciplined project management approach for on-time audit delivery
Nonprofit Tax & Assurance Services
- Financial statement audits and reviews
- Compliance audits conducted in accordance with OMB A-133 and related federal guidelines (Single Audits)
- Tax Services and Consulting
- Compliance services, including preparation of Forms 990, 990-PF and 990-T
- Sales, use and other tax reviews (SALT)
- Fringe benefits and deferred compensation and Form 5500
- Unrelated business income tax analysis (UBIT)
- Assisting in applying for tax exempt status
- Compliance audits conducted in accordance with OMB A-133 and related federal guidelines
- Agreed upon procedures
- Employee Benefit plan audits
- Internal control reviews
- Tax-exempt consulting and advisory services
Colleges, Universities & Private Schools
Colleges and universities have particular challenges as nonprofits because of the varied organizations and sources of funds that govern and affect them, such as the requirements associated with federal funding and rules and regulations having to do with national collegiate athletic bodies. Today, colleges and universities are challenged to deliver high-quality programs, recruit and retain top-notch faculty, prepare graduates for an ever-changing business market and do all of this in an affordable manner.
HoganTaylor is zealous in our commitment to providing tax and assurance services to educational institutions. Our extensive experience and dedication to this industry allows us to provide value in excess of our competitors.
Our current college and university clients are some of the largest and most noted in the region, including the University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University and Oklahoma Christian University and the foundations of the University of Oklahoma and the University of Arkansas.
Nonprofit Membership Organizations, Voluntary Health & Welfare Organizations and Charities
Membership organizations, voluntary health and welfare organizations and charities are a significant component of our nonprofit practice.Management and Board members of these organizations know the significant role they play in strengthening our communities. Nonprofits are businesses that must adapt to the changing needs for your services and realities of the economy. These changes in mission and operations impact your accounting, financial and tax requirements. We can help you manage this.
Our current membership organization and professional association clients include the Tulsa Area United Way, Tulsa Metro Chamber, Oklahoma Bankers Association and Oklahoma Manufacturing Alliance, among others.
Museums & Cultural Organizations
Arts, museums and cultural organizations are a unique set of nonprofits. Museums are particularly unique in that they must follow accounting principles that deal with accounting for their collections, use of funds to acquire art or maintain a certain collection, in addition to those principles dealing with membership fees and often times, retail sales from a gift store.HoganTaylor provides assurance, tax compliance or advisory services to some of Oklahoma’s most admired museums and cultural organizations, including:
- Philbrook Museum, one of the top 50 museums in the country
- Gilcrease Museum, one of the most renowned museums in the world for art and artifacts of the American West
- The Oklahoma City Museum of Art, home to one of the most comprehensive collections of glass sculpture by famed artist Dale Chihuly