Jeff Harjo leads HoganTaylor’s Financial Institutions practice utilizing more than 25 years of experience in audit, risk management and compliance. He is a specialist in helping clients maximize financial opportunities while also mitigating risk and exercising the complex compliance and regulatory controls required of today’s financial services industry. The practice’s clients are both privately owned and publicly held and range from institutions that are small to those with assets in the billions.
Harjo’s experience includes effective implementation of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Dodd-Frank Act, having served as Chief Risk Officer and Chief Auditor at one of the Southwest’s largest and most successful financial institutions.
He has broad experience in strengthening risk management, audit and compliance programs, including: financial reporting controls; customer risk management programs; compliance management systems; incentive compensation programs; loan review; mortgage compliance; operational and IT risk reviews; regulatory supervision assistance; corporate governance best practices; and Board, executive and client presentations.
In addition to his tenure working within the financial services industry, Harjo served as Director of Finance and Human Resources for a joint venture of several public energy companies assisting with treasury, accounting and tax, as well as corporate financings and M&A activities.
Harjo spent 15 years in the assurance practice of a Big Four accounting firm, performing assurance services for financial institutions, health care companies, and publicly traded and private companies in a variety of industries, including leadership roles in initial public offerings, peer reviews and firm training.
- Designed Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls system for multi-billion-dollar financial institution in accordance with SOX 404 provisions;
- Led team of audit and compliance professionals focusing on critical accounting policies and estimates, and regularly assisting external auditors and regulators;
- Developed complex risk assessment program to assist bankers with optimizing financial returns while also mitigating new product, client or geographical risk;
- Analyzed derivative trading patterns and relationships, resulting in reduced risk and increased revenues; and
- Assisted companies in a variety of industries with corporate financings, M&A activities, initial public offerings and other significant corporate events.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Bankers Association
- Oklahoma Bankers Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Palmer Continuum of Care, Board Executive Committee and Treasurer
- B.S. Accounting, Oklahoma State University, with Honors
- Presenter, Oklahoma Banker’s Association–Identifying Financial Misrepresentation, March 2014.
- Presenter, HoganTaylor Accounting and Auditing Update, December 2013.
- Presenter, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Risk Management – What Matters Most to You, September 2012.
- Presenter, Institute of Internal Auditors, Risk Management; April 2012; Dodd-Frank Reform, July 2011; Sarbanes-Oxley Effectiveness, May 2010.
- Presenter, Treasury Services Roundtable, Dodd-Frank Reform, April 2011.