Jeff Harjo leads HoganTaylor’s Financial Institutions practice utilizing more than 30 years of experience in audit, risk management and compliance. He is a specialist in helping clients maximize financial opportunities while also mitigating risk and exercising the complex compliance and regulatory controls required of today’s financial services industry. The practice’s clients are both privately owned and publicly held and range from institutions that are small to those with assets in the billions.
Harjo’s experience includes effective implementation of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Dodd-Frank Act, having served as Chief Risk Officer and Chief Auditor at one of the Southwest’s largest and most successful financial institutions.
He has broad experience in strengthening risk management, audit and compliance programs, including: financial reporting controls; customer risk management programs; compliance management systems; incentive compensation programs; loan review; mortgage compliance; operational and IT risk reviews; regulatory supervision assistance; corporate governance best practices; and Board, executive and client presentations.
In addition to his tenure working within the financial services industry, Harjo served as Director of Finance and Human Resources for a joint venture of several public energy companies assisting with treasury, accounting and tax, as well as corporate financings and M&A activities.
Harjo spent 15 years in the assurance practice of a Big Four accounting firm, performing assurance services for financial institutions, health care companies, and publicly traded and private companies in a variety of industries, including leadership roles in initial public offerings, peer reviews and firm training.
- Designed Sarbanes-Oxley and FDICIA internal controls system for multi-billion-dollar financial institution in accordance with SOX 404 provisions;
- Led team of audit and compliance professionals focusing on critical accounting policies and estimates, and regularly assisting external auditors and regulators;
- Developed complex risk assessment program to assist bankers with optimizing financial returns while also mitigating new product, client or geographical risk;
- Assisted companies in a variety of industries with corporate financings, M&A activities, initial public offerings and other significant corporate events.
CERTIFICATIONS & HONORS
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Oklahoma State University School of Accounting Hall of Fame Inductee, April 2018
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- American Bankers Association
- Oklahoma Bankers Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
- HoganTaylor Foundation, Lead Trustee
- B.S. Accounting, Oklahoma State University, with Honors, May 1985
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PUBLISHED ARTICLES
- Presenter, Arkansas Society of CPAs, Commerce and Banking Conference, Regulatory Relief Act, October 2018
Presenter, HoganTaylor Accounting and Auditing Update, 2013-2017
Presenter, Oklahoma Bar Association, Dodd-Frank Act and its impact on capital, 2014-2015
Presenter, BDO Alliance USA, Financial Institution Services, 2014-2015
Presenter, Oklahoma Society of CPAs, Banking Conference, Bank Regulatory Update, June 2014
Presenter, Oklahoma Banker’s Association–Identifying Financial Misrepresentation, March 2014
Presenter, AICPA Banking Conference, Risk Management – What Matters Most, September 2012
Presenter, Institute of Internal Auditors, Risk Management, April 2012
Presenter, Institute of Internal Auditors, Dodd-Frank Reform, July 2011
Presenter, Institute of Internal Auditors, Sarbanes-Oxley Effectiveness, May 2010